From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compositing too slow in KDE
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 22:50:06
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 22 March 2011 16:45:54 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> I have a very similar setup and it works fine here, AMD Phenom II X4 955
5 >> Deneb 3.2GHz with a Nvidia GT-220 video card. I also have the
6 >> SB700/SB800 chipset as well, Gigabyte mobo. The biggest difference I
7 >> see is the video card as far as hardware is concerned.
8 >>
9 >> Software, I'm on xorg-server-1.9 here. I never tried the older series
10 >> on this rig. I also still have a xorg.conf file too. May not matter
11 >> but just upgraded to a 2.6.38 kernel. Also, no hal here either which is
12 >> why I went with that xorg version during my install.
13 >>
14 >> I hope this little bit of info helps in some small way. If you need
15 >> more info about my setup, let me know.
16 >>
17 > So this seems like the xorg-1.9 driver won't play nicely with ATI video cards.
18 > FYI mesa classic seems to be better than gallium, although both crash. As
19 > already reported xrender works, but eats up resources.
20 >
21 > Will have to wait for later versions it seems.
22 >
23 > Thanks for your replies.
26 That is what I was thinking but I have VERY little experience with ATI
27 cards. I have one but only used it to install the basics of this new
28 rig. No GUI, just a console.
29
30 I did notice there is a xorg 1.9.5 in the tree. I'm not sure when it
31 was added but if you are not already using it, it may be worth a try.
32 It could fix the issue you are having. It seems you have a newer card
33 and as usual, they can lag a little bit when it comes to fixes. That is
34 true for ATI and Nvidia I guess.
35
36 Glad the info help eliminate hardware problems at least.
37
38 Dale
39