From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Exercising a bit of caution with prune
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 09:00:32
1 On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 03:26:41 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > > Packages installed: 885
4 > > Packages in world: 163
5 > > Packages in system: 59
6 > > Unique package names: 854
7 > > Required packages: 877
8 > > Number to remove: 30
9 > > root@smoker / #
10 >
11 > I don't have gnome installed on here but I think something else uses
12 > it. Maybe it doesn't need it anymore.
13
14 It is possible you installed something with a lot of gnome dependencies,
15 then removed it.
16
17 > I also use java but I think I
18 > use the one from Sun that has the fetch restriction thing on it. Just
19 > to see if my thinking is right, should I do a equery depends <name of
20 > each thing in the list> to make sure nothing needs it before I remove
21 > it?
22
23 That would take a while for 30 packages. I'd remove a few at a time, the
24 least harmful looking first, and unmerge them. Then run "emerge -utvDN
25 world" to see if something wants to bring them back in. If not, remove
26 some more. Or you could quickpkg them all and unmerge the lot in one go
30 > This doesn't pick up all the different versions of
31 kernels. I still need to check the prune one I guess. For that at
32 > least.
33
34 kernels are slotted, so you'd need prune to remove the older ones. If
35 you prefer to keep more than one installed, use "equery list -d
36 sources" to see which you have.
37
38 > Gosh, 885 installed. Holy molly. That's a lot.
39
40 That depends on what you use your system for. I have 930 on my laptop but
41 only 246 on my server.
45 Neil Bothwick
46
47 DOS Tip #17: Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS