From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ever since a recent update, vim misbehaves when run as root
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:09:44
1 On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> then the X app is not limited to using only IP but can choose whichever
6 >> transport it deems best. Of course the usual safety caveats apply. If
7 >> others are on your host, they'll have X access. If you're concerned
8 >> about that, then just give root permission:
9 >>
10 >> xhost SI:localuser:root
11 >>
12 >> xhost +local:
13 > Thanks -- that was what I was trying to remember, so I just emerged it.
14 >
15 > Looks like something I should be able to do in my .bashrc and just forget
16 > about.
17 >
18 > Actually, it doesn't work.
19
20 kevin@treat ~ $ xhost si:localhost:root
21 localhost:root being added to access control list
22 X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
23 operation)
24 Major opcode of failed request: 109 (X_ChangeHosts)
25 Value in failed request: 0xe
26 Serial number of failed request: 7
27 Current serial number in output stream: 9
28
29 kevin@treat ~ $ xhost SI:localhost:root
30 localhost:root being added to access control list
31 X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
32 operation)
33 Major opcode of failed request: 109 (X_ChangeHosts)
34 Value in failed request: 0xe
35 Serial number of failed request: 7
36 Current serial number in output stream: 9
37 kevin@treat ~ $
38
39 What's worse, the xhost man page refers me to Xauthority(7) which does not
40 exist, and I did
41 not find it with a quick check by eix.
42
43 What did work was
44 xhost +root@localhost
48 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD