From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: Gentoo-User ML <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best audio system?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 16:40:12
1 Am Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:06:16 +0100
2 schrieb YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>:
3
4 > On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 03:30:24AM +0100, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > dmix *may* be able to handle multiple audio streams (in practice, in
7 > > > my personal experience, it always requires more work than PA); but it
8 > > > will never be able to do the other stuff PA handles.
9 > >
10 > > This seems like a dumb question (for I was a strict PA denier until recently
11 > > and have been using alsa-only since always), but does PA handle OSS
12 > > applications better than alsa/dmix? Whenever I want to use sidplay, which only
13 > > speaks OSS, I need to stop all other audio programs (e.g. press Stop in the
14 > > Clementine player if it's only paused), or else /dev/dsp was busy.
15 >
16 > PA doesn't care about oss (/dev/dsp). It opens the soundcard through
17 > normal alsa interface (which means /dev/dsp becomes busy). You can
18 > either kill pulseaudio, or tell pulseaudio to suspend the correspondig
19 > sink (not sure what exactly happens if an audio stream through PA is active
20 > etc..).
21
22 There is also padsp:
23
24 "padsp starts the specified program and redirects its access to OSS
25 compatible audio devices (/dev/dsp and auxiliary devices) to a PulseAudio
26 sound server."
27
28 [...]
29 >
30 > yoyo
34 HTH
35 --
36 Marc Joliet
37 --
38 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
39 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup