From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reducing repeated checkings
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 20:05:31
1 On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Some thoughts of the day
3 >
4 > With multicore machines compilation itself is relativly fast. The
5 > bigger part of time meanwhile is spend for the system check before
6 > compilation. Each  program das it again and 90% of the checks check
7 > the same stuff.
8 >
9 > I wounder if efforts have been made to reduce this repeated checks.
10
11 confcache
12
13 It can (or used to be able to) be used with portage, though I think it
14 is discouraged because it can cause some other problems. I used it for
15 a while and never noticed any ill effects, but maybe I wasn't looking
16 in the right places. I read enough about it being bad that I stopped
17 using it out of fear.
18
19 The better time-saver is probably parallel emerges (emerge -j) which
20 can configure multiple packages at once. It also has quirks but works
21 most of the time. :)