From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT???
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 17:56:19
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:18 PM, Hilco Wijbenga
2 <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 23 August 2011 20:38, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> Hi all,
5 >>   Can someone point me toward somehow enabling CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT?
6 >> It is apparently a kernel config option no required by
7 >> virtualbox-drivers but I'm not finding it in the 3.0.3 kernel. I
8 >> suspect there's something else I need to enable before this option
9 >> becomes available? Unfortunately I haven't been able to Google what I
10 >> need to do to find it.
11 >>
12 >> Thanks,
13 >> Mark
14 >>
15 >> * Messages for package app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-4.1.2:
16 >>
17 >>  *   CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT:       is not set when it should be.
18 >>  * Please check to make sure these options are set correctly.
19 >>  * Failure to do so may cause unexpected problems.
20 >> <SNIP>
21 >>
22 >> k2 linux # cat .config | grep IOMMU
23 >> CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
24 >> # CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
25 >> CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU=y
26 >> # CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU_STATS is not set
27 >> CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
28 >> CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
29 >> # CONFIG_IOMMU_DEBUG is not set
30 >> # CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set
31 >> k2 linux #
32 >
33 > I noticed the same. There does not appear to be any such option but
34 > luckily its absence does not appear to affect running VB at all.
37 At the time of writing this I haven't tried Gregory's item about the
38 CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU option. I'll try that later when I get to the
39 machine but the reading I did on the web sounded like that was for IBM
40 specific hardware.
41
42 Here it seems that on the machine I was working - Intel based, i920 -
43 VB won't install Win 7 64-bit without it. I get a bunch of messages
44 that it will install but many cause problems. Are you running any
45 64-bit VMs?
46
47 However I've got another Intel machine where I can install Win 7
48 64-bit in VB just fine with no complaints at all. Here's the IOMMU
49 stuff from that box:
50
51 mark@c2stable ~ $ uname -a
52 Linux c2stable 3.0.1-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Aug 8 13:05:19 PDT 2011
53 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU X 980 @ 3.33GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
54 mark@c2stable ~ $ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep IOMMU
55 CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
56 # CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
57 # CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU is not set
58 CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
59 CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
60 # CONFIG_IOMMU_DEBUG is not set
61 # CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set
62 mark@c2stable ~ $
63
64 Except for the AMD option they seem identical unless I'm misreading something.
65
66 I'm now wondering if there is both a BIOS and chipset component to
67 making this work? I'm pretty sure I've got all the Vt-d stuff enabled
68 but I'll have to wait to go into BIOS on both of them to compare.
69
70 I'll try to do a diff later today between both machine's .config files
71 to look for differences.
72
73 Cheers,
74 Mark