From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32bit or 64bit
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 04:27:58
1 On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 11:36 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 19:52 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On 7/16/12, Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > So the same old query again I guess.
5 >> > What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit
6 >> > processor?
7 >> >
8 >> > I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is gt or
9 >> > = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.
10 >> >
11 >> > So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit
12 >> > for me.
13 >> >
14 >>
15 >> Why 32? ... Flash, win32 codecs, probably Wine but not sure as it has
16 >> been years...
17 >>
18 >> Why 64? ... Virtualization...
19 >>
20 >> Depends on what you want and/or need.
21 >>
22 >> HTH,
23 >> Mark
26 > Virtualisation ? I am running qemu (windows, gentoo), vbox (windows,
27 > gentoo, fedora) and gxemul (ultrix) all 32 bit guests on 32 bit systems
28 > on either 32 or 64 bit hardware running gentoo - can you confirm you
29 > need 64bit for 64bit guests as I will be moving that way eventually?
30 >
31 > That being said, I think for future proofing 64bit is the way to go, I
32 > can see a time when 32bit is going to get deprecated.
33
34 If you want hardware-accelerated virtualization, you will need to run
35 a 64-bit host if you want to run a 64-bit guest. That much I know.
36 From my experience on Windows, I can note that you can use
37 hardware-accelerated virtualization of 32-bit guests on both 32-bit
38 and 64-bit hosts.
39
40 These are just properties of the hardware; there's nothing special
41 about Linux or Windows in this regard.
44 :wq