From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo is so AWESOME
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 13:39:15
1 On 08/01/2013 03:15 PM, Nicolas Sebrecht wrote:
2 > The 01/08/13, hasufell wrote:
3 >
4 >> You can use the command line too.
5 >>
6 >> www-client/pybugz
7 >
8 > I know this tool. I did try it. At that time it was buggy and did not
9 > work for me. Though, this would still be a busy process as this is just
10 > another interface og the bugzilla thing.
11 >
12 >> Git workflow has been on the todo list for a long time, as well as
13 >> review systems such as gerrit.
14 >>
15 >> It is non trivial to implement
16 >
17 > Other than the git repository size requiring a huge initial clone, it's
18 > very easy to do.
19
20 Let's not make this yet another git migration discussion. Sufficient to
21 say, that it is not trivial to implement in Gentoo since we have to
22 migrate history, tools (not just end-user tools, this is also about
23 infra) and a lot of other stuff without breaking everything.
24
25 Also: A lot of gentoo projects have an overlay on github or similar
26 where they accept pull requests already. Including sunrise.
29 > Also, Gentoo organization has two heads making ambitious dicisions hard
30 > to take. And AFAIKS, to decision process in Gentoo is not helping at
31 > all. We are far from how it worked at the genesis/beginning of Gentoo.
34 There is a lot of room for improvement in the political aspects of
35 gentoo. In order to change it, you have to get more involved.
36
37 >> It is non trivial to implement and none of it is an excuse for not
38 >> contributing IMO ;)
39 >>
40 >> Those are enhancements and we are already working on it. Get your hands
41 >> dirty.
42 >
43 > Oh, yes. Pass the recruitement process to enhance the recruitement process,
44 > workflow and decision process (not possible to change, IMO). Funny! :-)
45 >
46 > Again, I proposed myself to the dev list two times in the past. Nobody
47 > cared and I had no answers.
50 I think the dev ML is not the right place to ask for a mentor, you
51 actually have to _find_ one. Discuss on IRC, help out on bugzie, send
52 pull requests to official gentoo overlays and then you might already
53 know a few devs who work in that area you are intested in. If you are
54 unable to find one, the recruiters will help you with that, just contact
55 them.
56
57 Also: we approach people ourselves who force us to commit for them every
58 single time. It is annoying, so we want them to become devs ;)