From: Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] switching CPU's -- what strange things do I need?
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:44:13
1 On Jan 25, 2008 12:44 PM, John covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > on Friday 01/25/2008 Andrey Falko(ma3oxuct@×××××.com) wrote
4 > > On Jan 25, 2008 10:00 AM, John covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > Hi folks. I right now have my CCFLAGS set to CFLAGS="-O2
7 > > > -mtune=athlon-xp -pipe" -- now I am getting one of those new Intel
8 > > > e8400 CPU's and so I have two questions.
9 > > >
10 > > > What should I change my CCFLAGS to -- and do I have to recompile the
11 > > > whole system after this is done or what?
14 > > I've done this before. I moved from an old Intel 3.06 Ghz to a new
15 > Athlon64
16 > > 4600+. I did *not* change flags before the move from system to system.
17 > After
18 > > the move, however, I changed my -march flag (in your case -mtune,
19 > which is
20 > > equivalent) and recompiled everything to have the change take effect.
21 > >
22 > > In your case, move the system from machine to machine, then change your
23 > > -mtune to: -mtune=nocona (see
24 > >
25 > http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.2.2/gcc/i386-and-x86_002d64-Options.html#i386-and-x86_002d64-Options
26 > )
27 > > . When you are done with that recompile everything: emerge -e world
28 > >
29 > Thanks all -- I have a 32-bit profile, so I guess I will not be able
30 > to use ncona -- is this correct?
31 >
32 > No. nocona will not generate 64-bit code with a 32-bit profile. nocona is
33 more "native" to your cpu, but I am sure that you won't get much of a boost
34 using it over prescott.
37 > --
38 > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
39 > How do
40 > you spend it?
41 >
42 > John Covici