From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good 'layman' tutorial on IPv4 > IPv6?
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 03:38:37
1 On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:45:08AM -0600, Chris Frederick wrote
2
3 > If you still want private addresses, IPv6 has unique local addresses
4 > (fc00::/7 range, http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/ula/ has a reg form to
5 > help assign a /48 to you).
6
7 If it's a unique ***LOCAL*** address, then why is it a problem if
8 multiple places on the planet use it??? Doesn't sound very "local" to
9 me.
10
11 Probably the easiest conversion for most people would be to do what
12 was done with TV sets...
13
14 * When analogue UHF stations first came out, you could get a "translator
15 box" that had a tuner which translated UHF channels to channel 3 or 4
16 on your old VHF-only TV set
17
18 * When non-encrypted analogue midband channels came out on cable TV, you
19 could get a "translator box" that mapped cable midband channels to UHF
20
21 * When ATSC (digital) broadcast TV came out, you could get a "translator
22 box" that converted ATSC signals to NTSC, and fed them to your old
23 non-digital TV set.
24
25 Too bad that NAT-PT has been deprecated. It could've been the
26 transition answer.
27
28 Don't get me wrong. I agree that eventually we'll have to transition
29 to IPV6. I held off going 64-bit on Gentoo, until I got a machine with
30 more than 3 gigs of RAM. Similarly, one of these days, I'll eventually
31 do an IPV6 install. What I did not appreciate was the day when the
32 "ipv6" USE flag was added as a default. I found out about it when
33 Firefox started taking a minute or so to find sites, i.e. timing out on
34 the IPV6 lookup before failing over to IPV4. Since that day, I start my
35 USE flags with "-*" in /etc/make.conf to avoid similar surprises.
38 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>