From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive change
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 16:38:59
1 On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:03 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > Am 08.11.2012 12:12 schrieb <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>:
4 >
5 >> I am about to change my hard drive on my machine from a 500GB to 2tb.
6 >>
7 >> To transfer I intend to dd the partitions across and then resize using
8 >> lvm as home swap var are located on lvm.
9 >>
10 >> Is this the right approach or would you recommend another method?
11 >>
12 >> John D Maunder.
13 >
14 > 2tb drive probably different sector size. cp -auv recommended.
17 I agree, best approach is to partition and format the new drive as
18 new, and then copy the files. This will also help you start your new
19 disk with a lack of fragmentation.