From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gfx for Linux Gaming
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:21:25
1 On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > nVidia at the moment is a bit of a risk, as there is a whole raft of
3 > issues going on with nVidia hardware. If their drivers work, they will
4 > likely give better performance and features than AMDs options, and so
5 > long as the hardware holds up. Read up on nVidia bumps issue for more
6 > information.
7 >
8 > However... AMD have an open-source strategy and an official
9 > open-source driver stack. Their open-source drivers are good, and
10 > getting better, but are not feature complete yet, nor really
11 > competitive for performance in 3D games. I'm not aware of any major
12 > issues surrounding AMD graphics, except the general complaints that
13 > the FOSS drivers aren't yet good enough.
14 >
15 > YMMV,
16 > RobbieAB
20 Thanks for the pointer on the nvidia problem. I hadn't heard about that, and:
21
22 1) I've got a 2 year old out-of-warranty Compaq laptop that's having
23 trouble booting. As best I can tell it's not the disk and it's not
24 memory, so...
25 2) I just put a fanless 9500GT-based card in my wife's new machine
26
27 Guess I'm right in the thick of it as testing for lead vs eutectic
28 bumps is not something you can figure out with a piece of software...
29
30 I used to work in the semiconductor industry. The thing I'd worry
31 about is whether the company doing packaging for nvidia, and it's
32 almost certainly not nvidia themselves, have used these same high-lead
33 bumps that they sold nvidia. If they have then anyone's chips could
34 potentially have these same problems.
35
36 OK, so let's investigate AMD/ATI at bit more. Am I understanding
37 Volker's response that I want to look at the 5000 Series from ATI?
38
39 http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5000.aspx
40
41 Looking at NewEgg I think all the 5850 & 5870's are just more
42 expensive than I want to pay. There are some 5730's for around $240,
43 but tax and shipping is going to drive that over $300 which is still
44 pretty step for something I won't use much.
45
46 As I won't game and sometimes do music (writing, recording, listening,
47 etc.) much I would appreciate quiet (i.e. - fanless) everyday whereas
48 gaming might happen just once in awhile. So far I haven't spotted any
49 5700 or 5800 that are fanless. I do see 5500 and 5600 devices:
50
51 5570
52 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131349
53
54 5670
55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131348
56
57 Prices are acceptable on both of those, although I'm sure the
58 performance is probably lacking a bit. I'll have to look around at
59 relative benchmarks to understand anything about the performance
60 metrics.
61
62 Thanks,
63 Mark