From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} hire a programmer or company?
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 06:46:46
1 >> >> > You can get away with almost anything except these two things:
2 >> >> >
3 >> >> > Do not micro-manage
4 >> >> > Do not tell them how to do what they do
5 >> >>
6 >> >> Could you give me an example of this last one?
7 >> >
8 >> > - I see you are using Perl with hashrefs to do function xyz. Have
9 >> > you considered (i.e. I would like you to) using
10 >> > $INSERT_SOMETHING_HERE?
11 >>
12 >> So if I see a way that their coding could be improved (faster
13 >> execution, greater legibility, etc) I just keep quiet about it?
14 >>
15 >> > - Wanting to personally review the code often. I've seen some
16 >> > managers want to do this daily.
17 >>
18 >> How often should I read their code?  I was planning on reading it a
19 >> lot.
22 > Perhaps I was too literal. Those examples should be read in the context
23 > of obsessively fiddling with someone else's work. Alternatively, doing
24 > those examples and not producing anything worthwhile from doing it.
25 >
26 > Code reviews and suggestions are valuable, but there's a time and a
27 > place and a forum for them. All productive teams eventually reserve a
28 > time slot for review and demos of running code. You and the entire team
29 > can and should discuss optimizations then.
30 >
31 > Let me put it another way - you likely don't like it if someone else
32 > fiddles with your work while you are trying to do it, or gives
33 > "helpful suggestions" while you are trying to concentrate. All I'm
34 > saying is to avoid doing that to others. Good old common sense will
35 > tell you when this is happening - you already know how to do it, no
36 > need to analyze the thing any further than that
37
38 Got it, thanks Alan and thanks everyone for helping with this.
39
40 - Grant