From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pm-suspend replacement?
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2021 20:50:41
1 On 2021-09-19 20:24+0000 Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > […]
4 > > Or maybe I'll try and find pm-suspend again on the web. Maybe it
5 > > had some feature (or bug workaround) which the more modern packages
6 > > are lacking.
7 >
8 > That's just what I did. A web search for pm-utils found it easily
9 > enough. pm-suspend works again, and I'm a happy chappy - almost. Why
10 > was pm-utils taken off of portage in the first place? Was there some
11 > sort of security problem, or was it just because it hadn't been
12 > updated in a fair while (since 2013, I think)?
13
14 It was removed because upstream abandoned it. It was announced in
15 <https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2020-04-14-elogind-default.html>
16 which references <https://bugs.gentoo.org/659616>.
17
18 > That's another feature missing from portage - a systematic way of
19 > discovering why a package has been removed.
20
21 `eselect news read all | less` is sometimes helpful. 😄
24 Get my PGP key with `gpg --locate-keys tastytea@××××××××.de` or at
25 <https://tastytea.de/tastytea.asc>.