From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: is purchasing a usb blu ray a good idea?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:38:02
1 On 2015-06-26, gottlieb@×××.edu <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
2 > My new (dell E7450) laptop will be a slimline with no internal optical
3 > drive. So I want to purchase an external optical drive. My first
4 > thought was to get a drive that is both
5 > a blue ray READER and
6 > a dvd writer
7
8 AFAIK, none of my current computers have (or ever have had) blue ray
9 drives. I'm 100% sure that 3 of them don't, but it's possible my
10 laptop can read blue ray disks.
11
12 Even the DVD drives get used very rarely these days. I used to install
13 OSes from optical disks, and therefor I used to burn the occasional
14 Fedora/Ubuntu DVD or systemrescuecd CD. But, I use USB flash drives
15 for that these days[1]. The optical drives my computers _do_ have
16 don't seem to be very reliable. Not that you'd expect much from
17 anything with a motor and lots of of moving parts for which you paid
18 $15.
19
20 The only reason I can think of for having a BR drive is so you can
21 watch BR movies that Netflix mails you[2].
22
23 [1] Despite all steps explained in the blog posts on how to build a
24 bootable flash drive based on an ISO image, I've found that for
25 everything except systemrescuecd, all I have ever had do is:
26
27 dd if=whatever.iso of=/dev/sdd bs=64k
28
29 [2] I still get plain old DVDs -- it turns out that blue ray doesn't
30 improve the characters, plot, writing, direction, cinematography,
31 editting, or anything that else matters about movies. A Michael
32 Bay movie on blue ray is still a Michael Bay movie.
35 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I feel partially
36 at hydrogenated!
37 gmail.com