From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev broken...
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 12:21:15
1 On Fri, 2009-11-27 at 20:06 -0800, BRM wrote:
2
3 [... way too much background info removed]
4
5 BREVITY! We don't want to have to read about what you had on your
6 sandwich for lunch or the fight you had with your girl to get to the
7 meat of what you're trying to say ;-).
8
9 Since you didn't paste the link to where you found info on the web, I'll
10 go ahead and paste what I found for those who may want to follow up:
11
12 http://bugs.gentoo.org/281312
13
14 To be brief, it basically mentions that udev-145 and kernel-2.6.25 are
15 not compatible. Looks like there is a possible patch (to glibc) but the
16 BZ doesn't really say if/when the patch will be applied in Gentoo.
17
18 Rather than waiting on a fix for nearly-obsolete software, here is my
19 advice:
20
21 1. Boot into a Live CD/stick/whatever.
22 2. Chroot into your environment as laid out in the Handbook
23 3. Do an emerge --sync
24 4. Upgrade *at least* the following:
25 * kernel sources (might as well configure/compile it too,
26 but don't reboot yet)
27 * linux-headers
28 * glibc (do this *after* linux headers)
29 * udev (do this *after* glibc)
30
31 Reboot and pray.
32