From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making bootable USB
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:16:47
1 Mick wrote:
2 > There's some more straws to grasp, namely the partition table that the
3 > OP created with fdisk, as well as the first partition on it: Assuming
4 > the USB is still on /dev/sdb, then use fdisk to delete partition
5 > /dev/sdb1. Then manually delete the USB DOS partition table: dd
6 > if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=1 Finally, reinstall the iso
7 > once more without creating any partitions manually: dd
8 > if=/home/joseph/Downloads/install-amd64-minimal-20140828.iso
9 > of=/dev/sdb sync NOTE: Make sure that /dev/sdb is indeed your USB
10 > stick or you'll cause damage to whatever is on /dev/sdb.
11
12 If I recall correctly, when I make my sysrescue USB stick, I don't
13 create anything. I just run the script. If I am updating it, I use dd
14 to erase everything off the stick then run the script. I don't recall
15 creating partitions or anything tho.
16
17 I'm sure this will be figured out eventually. It's likely some small
18 thing that makes a big difference. We have all been there before.
19
20 Dale
21