From: "Spackman
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Idea for Videoconferencing (Video part)
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2020 18:10:38
1 On 2020/04/03 at 11:16am, Petric Frank wrote:
2
3 > Problem: Usually the camera is outside of the screen. The user
4 > normally looks at the screen. As result the communication partner(s)
5 > see him not looking at the camera.
6
7 > Idea: Use two cameras positioned left and right or top and bottom of
8 > the screen. Combine the two video streams and generate a third stream
9 > having a virtual camera positioned at the middle of the screen.
10
11 > Result: Better communication. The partners always looking in their
12 > eyes. At the same time the screen contents can be viewed.
13
14 I think this would be fun to try, but I don't have any idea the actual
15 feasibility.
16
17 Moreover, I believe Apple tried something similar, very briefly, with
18 Face Time. I think it just used processing to try to "fix" where the
19 eyes were looking. My understanding is that it creeped everyone out and
20 no one liked it. Probably an uncanny vallley thing. So, they dropped
21 it. (IIRC, I heard that on TWIT a while back.)
22
23 Maybe two cameras could do it better, though?
26 Chris Spackman chris@××××××××××.com
27
28 ESL Coordinator The Graham Family of Schools
29 ESL Instructor Columbus State Community College
30 Japan Exchange and Teaching Program Wajima, Ishikawa 1995-1998
31 Linux user since 1998 Linux User #137532