From: Wolfgang Liebich <wolfgang.liebich@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why is apache 2.2 hard masked? - comments to my (preliminary) solution
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:04:28
1 Hi,
2 Mike Williams schrieb:
3 > On Thursday 12 April 2007 06:13:44 Wolfgang Liebich wrote:
4 >
5 >> OK - it is in testing. Has anyone here experiences on how stable it is
6 >> to run? Maybe I need it b/c of a new auth module
7 >> which does not seem to be available in apache 2.0.58...
10 > Oddly enough...
11 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-server/msg_11696.xml
12 >
13 > (I've not used the auth modules though)
14 >
15 Thank you all for your answers. I will try to press forward with apache
16 2.2.4. The reason I need it is that I need to authentificate/authorize users
17 agains a Windows ActiveDirectory domain. This is done using LDAP. Until
18 now we only had users coming from one OU served by our DC, so that
19 setup worked w/o a hitch. BUT now we have gotten a user from a different
20 OU, and ... well, I could not get mod_auth_ldap to lookup the user from
21 a BaseDN
22 one level up (BUT searching the user via "ldapsearch" cmdline worked -
23 IDGI....).
24 Apache's "own" mod_auth_ldap (which you get with USE="ldap") didn't
25 work, either..
26 SO I decided to go forward to apache 2.2.4 and use 2 LDAP
27 authentification instances, each with a working BaseDN pointing to the
28 wanted OU (same server, only the
29 most specific OU in the BaseDN different) and unify them with
30 mod_authn_alias. For simplicity I used apache's own mod_authnz_ldap.
31 This setup seems to work, with some caveats:
32 - You have to mark both LDAP auth module configurations with
33 AuthzLDAPAuthoritative=off
34 - If you want to restrict access to your site to users belonging to a
35 specified group, you cannot just juse mod_authnz_ldap's "require
36 ldap-group" feature b/c the module
37 doing authorization checks is mod-authn-alias -- which has NO idea what
38 "require ldap-group" means. Sigh. BUT:
39 -- you can do some evil tricks with the ldap URL to fake this "require
40 ldap-group" trick: You modify the search string (the last part of the
41 LDAP url to something like
42 "(&(<original part, e.g. 'objectType=*')(memberOf=<DN of the user
43 group>))". This has the effect that users not belonging to your wanted
44 group are just not found.
45 This is NOT the same as saying "users not in this group are not
46 AUTHORIZED", but it is a working fake.
47
48 Well, I've got a working system this way, therefore my boss will
49 probably ask me to stop researching further :-).
50 But I'm not totally satisfied with the current solution, b/c
51 - I still don't get the REASON why the ldap auth modules can't find the
52 user(s) but ldapsearch can.
53 - The solution is ugly :-) Seriously - I want to be able to use a single
54 authn/authz provider. Maybe mod_auth_kerberos would be better?
55 - Earlier on I looked into mod_auth_pam (for
56 authentification/authorization against our NIS/YP domain). BUT I didn't
57 use it b/c it seemed to REQUIRE that apache
58 gets read access for /etc/shadow. WHY? If I use pam+NIS, the local
59 shadow pwd file should never needed to be read, right? (Also a fellow
60 sysadmin cautioned me agains mod_auth_pam
61 b/c he claimed it to be rather dead - i.e. not developed further).
62 Comments/Experiences would be very welcome!
63 Ciao,
64 Wolf"english is NOT my native tongue:-("gang
65 --
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list