From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] revdep-rebuild question
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:49:44
1 On Mon, 2011-07-25 at 17:30 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Hartmut Figge <h.figge@×××.de> wrote:
5 > >> Greetings,
6 > >>
7 > >> after the emerge -uDN world of today i proceeded with revdep-rebuild
8 > >> which found nothing to to. But i noticed, that the emerge recommended to
9 > >> execute revdep-rebuild --library='libosp.so.*'. Doing this two packages
10 > >> were found and emerged.
11 > >>
12 > >> Now, shouldn't these have been found already by the previous revdep-rebuild?
13 > >
14 > > I believe --library rebuilds everything that uses that library, not
15 > > broken packages.
16 >
17 > To test my theory you can run the command again and see if it finds
18 > the same 2 packages again. :)
21 A quick look at the ebuild for opensp shows that it will always print
22 that message - doesnt test if its really needed, and the revdep-rebuild
23 reccomendation will always rebuild "all" matching libs it finds - not
24 just ones that really need building.
25
26 BillK