From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Maybe OT]: Instability of system
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 19:23:40
1 Hello again, Dale.
2
3 On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 11:23:14 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 > Mick wrote:
5 > > On Sunday, 10 June 2018 14:06:22 BST Alan Mackenzie wrote:
6
7 > >> The shop I bouught everything from seems to have gone out of business,
8 > >> with both its telephone number and its website having been down for a
9 > >> sustained period. So I'm unlikely to be able to get the processor
10 > >> exchanged for an unbuggy one. Shelling out for a new processor out of my
11 > >> own pocket seems too much of a long shot to justify the money (~400
12 > >> Euros) and the time.
13
14 > >> So it's looking like I'm not going to be getting the problem fixed any
15 > >> time soon. :-(
16 > > All may not be lost, yet.
17
18 > > Since this is arguably a manufacturing fault of the CPU, you should have some
19 > > consumer rights over it. Try contacting AMD directly for RMA, as long as it
20 > > is still under the *manufacturer's* warranty and you have your receipt.
24 > Plus trying to talk to them may lead to them knowing what the problem
25 > is.  Whether it is mobo or CPU, knowing which one would help.  They may
26 > have heard of this issue before.
27
28 > To, OP.  I was hoping you found a solution.  Maybe you will at some
29 > point,  You have certainly eliminated a lot of potential causes.  I
30 > can't recall if you have or not, have you tried a different version of
31 > the kernel?  In the past, I've upgraded to a new kernel and it be
32 > buggy.  I go back to a older version until I see a new update then try
33 > again.  Generally it works.  Don't know if it was a kernel bug or just
34 > some stray code that something didn't like but . . .
35
36 I've been running on my (no longer quite so) new box since about last
37 August. I don't recall crashes from that long ago, though that could be
38 to do with my memory.
39
40 I've just configured and build a 4.17.0 kernel (thanks for the
41 suggestion!), having previously been running on 4.15.15 for quite some
42 time. Maybe this will help. We'll see.
43
44 > Dale
45
49 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).