From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] faded images with Gwenview
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 13:01:37
1 On Thursday, 9 September 2021 00:25:41 BST Philip Webb wrote:
2 > I have cropped some .png images using Gwenview
3 > & the reduced versions are faded with Gwenview, but fully colored with Feh.
4 > I've tried using 'convert' to create .jpg versions,
5 > but while they're much smaller in Kbytes (good),
6 > they're also faded when viewed with Gwenview (Feh ok).
7 >
8 > Can anyone explain what has caused this ?
9 > Is there a way of correcting it, eg with Imagemagick ?
10
11 Once you have converted an original raster image into a smaller (i.e. more
12 compressed) jpeg image you have thrown away some pixels. Post-processing
13 can't put these missing pixels back.
14
15 I think the gwenview faded display phenomenon you describe here is unlikely to
16 be the result of your conversion, since feh displays it without any fading.
17 It may be caused by gwenview scaling the image to a different size, to make it
18 fit in the gwenview window, unlike feh which will open it in its original size
19 whether its full size dimensions fit in your PC monitor or not. You can check
20 the gwenview % reduction/increase shown at the bottom right hand corner and
21 change this to 100% to see if it makes any odds.
22
23 In the gwenview settings you can select what the default 'Zoom Mode' is, if
24 indeed this is the cause of the faded image display.
25
26 Another thing perhaps related could be the anti-aliasing gwenview applies to
27 fit the image in the window aperture and how this interacts with the image
28 elements and the resolution of your monitor - you should be able to check this
29 if you change the zoom level.
30
31 https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/24512/what-is-aliasing-and-anti-aliasing
32
33 On the same PC/monitor with the same display dimensions for an image gwenview
34 (with its default settings) and feh ought to produce the same output - at
35 least they do so here.