From: Michal 'vorner' Vaner <vorner@×××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A DNS question.
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 18:22:22
1 On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 11:52:55AM -0600, Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 23:16:47 +0100
3 > "Michal 'vorner' Vaner" <vorner@×××.cz> wrote:
4 >
5 > > The [ X ] is a machine, ---- is a network and those C? are names of
6 > > the machine on the net. Now, ping C1 on the middle machine. Should it
7 > > ping itself on the right interface or look for the left computer? You
8 > > should at last have something like:
9 > >
10 > > [ Name1 ] C1 ---- C2 [ Name2 ] C1 ---- C2 [ Name3 ]
11 >
12 > /etc/resolv.conf has a search line in which you can set up domains to
13 > automatically append to hostnames that aren't fully qualified. If the
14 > subnets had different subdomain names, the order/presence/absence in
15 > resolv.conf would determin which C? was reached from Name2
16
17 Sure you can do all this - but I still think you just do better if you
18 name the computer in some reasonable way - give it its own name that is
19 the same everywhere (even if it has different domains behind it) and add
20 nicknames for services. After all, it IS the same computer.
21
22 If you do not give the computer a more global name, you need to ask
23 yourself from which network you access it and decide. I did not say you
24 can not do it other way, just that it probably is a good idea to act in
25 a way most people take as sane.
26
27 With regards
30 No, you will not fix me