From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:51:25
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:16:35 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >> Speaking of tmpfs, I should have re-emerged OOo on tmpfs. It filled up
6 >> /var and died, just a few minutes before it would have finished. Oh
7 >> well, I'll make /var bigger next time. Maybe a couple more Gbs. I put
8 >> that http-replicator on here when I decided to keep my old rig up to
9 >> date and it just eats up my /var. I guess I could move http* directory
10 >> tho. ^_^
11 >>
12 > Filling up /var is bad, putting PORTAGE_TMPDIR somewhere less critical is
13 > a good idea. Its own filesystem is best but as you don't use LVM, how
14 > about a directory on that 750GB second drive you have.
15 >
16 > Then if you get kernel panics during emerges, you'll know the drive is at
17 > fault :)
22 Now that's a thought. Here is the funny thing. I can copy from the
23 drive just fine. It just doesn't like me writing anything to it. I
24 just can't figure out why it would cause a kernel panic. It's not like
25 the OS is on it or anything.
26
27 I did take the sides off my rig last night. I reseated all the cables.
28 I'm going to do some testing here in a bit. I been upgrading to KDE
29 4.7. Yeppie !!
30
31 Dale
32