From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: extending volume groups and logical volumes
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 10:03:31
1 On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 08:41:07 +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 16 December 2011 03:18:16 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 > > I need to add space to /var (thank you, libreoffice), which is on lvm.
5 > > Since my one volume group vg is getting low, I thought this would be a
6 > > good time to extend it as well.
7 >
8 > Actually, you need space in /var/tmp/portage
9
10 In fact, he needs space in wherever $PORTAGE_TMPDIR points to. Just set
11 this variable to somewhere with enough space before emerging libreoffice.
12
13 > > phy disk: /dev/sda my only drive
14 > > phy part: fdisk create another partition of type LVM (/dev/sda8)
15 > > phy vol: pvcreate /dev/sda8
16 > > vol grp: vgextend vg /dev/sda8
17 > > log vol: lvextend --size +10G /dev/vg/var
18 > > file sys: resize2fs /dev/vg/var
19
20 Did you say your existing PV is sda7? In that case, why mess with having
21 two adjacent partitions are separate PVs in the same VG. Delete sda8,
22 resize sda7 to fill the space and run pvresize /dev/sda7 to resize the PV
23 to fit. Then you can use lvresize and resize2fs to increase /var, or
24 create a separate space for PORT_TMPDIR.
25
26 I prefer to keep potentially huge temporary directories away from
27 critical filesystems like /var.
31 Neil Bothwick
32
33 If God can't help you, how about Mr. Coffee?