From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] After power failure, SATA hd not recognized a bunch of times: do I have to worry?
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 20:46:20
1 Hi,
2
3 Today, while I was at work, there had been a power failure. My Gentoo
4 box was on when it happened.
5
6 I found the box was not off, but it had tried to reboot. But it showed
7 no Linux login prompt; instead, BIOS told me that wanted a floppy disk...
8
9 I rebooted a bunch of times, and everytime it behaved like there were no
10 more hard disks. It looked for a bootsector in the CD/DVD drives and in
11 the floppy drive, but behaved like the SATA HD did not exist. I tried to
12 boot a Knoppix and its fstab showed no trace of an hard disk. Even more
13 strange, at startup it
14
15 I was quite terrified, but after a couple more reboots it got the hd
16 again, apparently flawlessly... and now I'm here writing to you from the
17 box.
18
19 What I want to know is: is it a common glitch in case of power failures
20 or it is the symptom of something that is going very wrong? And how can
21 I know if it's the second? (I have smartctl, but I'm not very smart at
22 using it).
23
24 Thanks,
25