From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing Gentoo via Gentoo ?
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:19:12
1 On 04/18/2010 09:58 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2010-04-18, Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Yes, you should be able to, installing Gentoo is basically just copying
5 >> a bunch of files to a partition in a harddisk, nothing magical.
6 >
7 > Precisely.
8 >
9 >> However, you will have to be able to compile a compatible kernel from
10 >> your PC. Compatible usually means either your PC have the same
11 >> architecture as your laptop (which means everything should be already
12 >> setup) or you have to cross-compile the kernel.
13 >
14 > Cross compiling the kernel is fairly trivial, but you need a
15 > cross-toolchain. Building one with crosstool-NG isn't too hard, but
16 > its' not trivial either.
17 >
18 >> I've never done kernel cross-compiling, but it's definitely possible,
19 >> you just need to modify modify some of the Makefile manually (search on
20 >> google for a howto).
21 >
22 > You don't actually need to modify the Makefile if you don't want to.
23 > You can do it from the command line:
24 >
25 > make ARCH=targetarch CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/cross/compiler
28 I'm about to do the same thing. My current disk is almost full and my
29 /usr partition isn't big enough, most of the time I can get it down to
30 95% but often goes to 100%. In the next week or two I will move my
31 system to another drive with lvm or at least a different partition
32 configuration. I'll either do a fresh install or a stage4 install. You
33 may want to look into that: a stage4 install. The documentation is at
34 http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Custom_Stage4 and it looks pretty good
35 and simple. This may be the way you want to go.
36
37 dhk