From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compressed Filesystem
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:20:32
1 On Mittwoch 30 Dezember 2009, Marcus Wanner wrote:
2 > On 12/29/2009 7:17 PM, Albert Hopkins wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 00:08 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 > >> just think a moment of the tons of bug fixes constantly going into
5 > >> ext4. That
6 > >> crap is not stable. Pre-alpha maybe.
7 > >
8 > > People say this from time to time, yet I have been running ext4 on my
9 > > root directory of my laptop since July 2008. The only problem I've had
10 > > since then is one time it would not mount on boot. I merely had to fsck
11 > > it from a live media an then it was ok (nothing lost or currupted). But
12 > > that was a long time ago when it was still ext4dev. And I've had
13 > > numerous crashes and battery depletions on the laptop without incident.
14 > > So the pre-alpha FUD that some people are spreading is either not true
15 > > or I just happen to be the luckiest ext4 user in the world :-).
16 >
17 > For my two cents, a while back I was on ext4 and was trying to get xorg
18 > working. My problem was that the input drivers were not working (because
19 > they had not been recompiled after an update), so once I ran startx, no
20 > keyboard or mouse input was registered. This meant that every time I
21 > tried something which I thought would fix it, I had to hard reset the
22 > system and look at the logs. The only problem was that the logs had the
23 > wrong contents because they had been "written to" but not actually
24 > flushed to the disk, and it took me about 10 hard resets to figure that
25 > out. Even though I was running ext4, I never lost a thing (except the
26 > logs :p).
27 >
28 > For the curious, I eventually got good logs by running shutdown -h 1 in
29 > one tty right before running startx in the other, and that shutdown the
30 > system correctly.
31 >
32 > Marcus
35 you could have set up acpid to switch to vt1 when the power button is pressed.
36
37 This is a nice safeguard against a misbehaving X.