From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, bigfish@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: Pro and Contra ?
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 18:26:02
1 From: "Richard Fish" <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
2 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM: Pro and Contra ?
3 Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:59:02 -0700
4
5 > On 8/8/06, Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de> wrote:
6 > > What's about fragmentation of data, when using LVM ?
7 >
8 > There are very few disadvantages. If you put root on LVM, then you
9 > will require an initramfs to boot, and as kashani said, if the LVM
10 > packages break somehow, you will be back to a livecd. However, I
11 > think keeping a backup initramfs and kernel in /boot should be
12 > sufficient for most cases.
13 >
14 > The biggest advantage is that you can easily add more space to a
15 > volume group if you run out. So say you only allocate the 80G you are
16 > currently using to your logical volumes initially, you can add space
17 > to them as required from the unallocated space.
18 >
19 > LVM has no effect on fragmentation however, other than that you can
20 > easily use more and smaller filesystems to keep the effects of
21 > fragmentation managable. When you consider how the different areas of
22 > a gentoo directory tree are used, it makes sense to use different
23 > filesystems for /, /var, /usr/portage, and /home. I also recommend
24 > separate filesystems for /usr/portage/packages and distfiles, just to
25 > keep those large archives out of the same filesystem that contains the
26 > ebuilds.
27 >
28 > -Richard
29 > --
30 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
33 Hi Richard !
34
35 Thanks a lot for your explanations! :)
36
37 Yes, the variable size of a LVM was that feature what attracts my
38 attention first.
39
40 Another question came up in my mind: Is a logical volumes (that
41 "beast" where I put the filesystem on finally) behaviour identical to
42 that of an ordinary old fashioned partion?
43
44 Is it possible (for example) to feed such an lv again through the
45 device mapper for encryption purposes ?
46
47 Is the performance impact via LVM (not encryption) noticeable or
48 negliable?
49
50 Keep hacking!
51 mcc