From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 04:46:34
1 I'm thinking about setting up a pair of Rasp-Pi-4 as DNS servers with
2 4GB of ram. Is that enough ram for a DNS server?
3
4 https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-4GB-Starter-MAX/dp/B07XPHWPRB
7 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Embedded_systems/ARM_hardware_list
8
9 If 4GB is not enough, there are some boards with 8GB
10 of ram.
13 What about running postfix on a third board?
14
15 https://samhobbs.co.uk/2013/12/raspberry-pi-email-server-part-1-postfix
18 All feedback is encouraged. It will not be a high volume postfix email
19 system. As far as the DNS servers, it seems I vaguely remember some
20 software or filters to prevent hack attacks, that just overwhelm DNS
21 servers; or something like that. It just lowers the data flow rate.
22
23 It seems this is popular, and which version of USB 3.?
24 to use on a stick, as now usb sticks can have large capacities now (T+).
25
26 Surely I'll back up the mail (spool & such) to a secondary hard drive on
27 another system.
28
29 It this all goes well, surely I put a web server on a fourth board.
30
31 https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-nginx/
34 Granted those links are not centric to embedded gentoo, but they do
35 cover a lot of what is needed.
36
37 Further suggestions are most welcome. This is a fun to do project,
38 useful as it would basically be easy to duplicate, so I can travel
39 anywhere, get a few static IPs and deploy a small business,
40 self-sufficient, network.
41
42 So the Rpi4 boards will all need their own unique, static Ip. But,
43 another questions is while they are running as 4 distinct gentoo
44 servers, could they also double as a quad-gentoo cluster?
45
46 https://www.picocluster.com/collections/raspberry-pi4
49 Security pointers are most welcome too.
50 The eventual idea is to have a fixed home network, but
51 be able to travel around in my pickup/cabovercamper
52 and have what I need right there, or provide it to friends as a ready to
53 go small network. Embedded Gentoo,
54 low-power hardware and 100% (gentoo) source driven).
55
56 The S20 (520G ram) phone would server as the router.
57 (2) 5G cell phones running on (2) different 5G service
58 vendor, could make the services and cluster multi-homed?
59
60 Would all of this work with just IP6 and a fancy cell phone, running
61 gentoo? We shall see.
64 James