From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dns/bind-tools 9.14 -> 9.16 pulling in 17 new dependencies?!
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2020 14:54:10
1 On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 02:39:48PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > During my regular update, I see that net-dns/bind-tools is upgrading
3 > from 9.14 to 9.16, and that's triggering the installation of _17_ new
4 > packages (all apparently related to sphinx and Babel).
5 >
6 > Is this sort of dependency bloat really necessary?
7 >
8 > The "doc" flag for bind-tools is not set, so why does it demand that
9 > sphinx be installed?
10
11 Sphinx is required (BDEPEND [1]) to build the man page, as commented in the
12 ebuild [2]:
13
14 # sphinx required for man-page and html creation
15 BDEPEND="${PYTHON_DEPS}
16 dev-python/sphinx
17 virtual/pkgconfig"
18
19 > Does bind-tools really need packages like sphinxcontrib-qthelp,
20 > sphinxcontrib-applehelp, sphinxcontrib-jsmath, sphinxcontrib-htmlhelp?
21
22 All of these are unfortunate consequences of Sphinx's hefty dependency list [3].
23 It seems that as the manual pages are installed with the package (regardless of
24 the `doc` USE-flag), there is no way of mitigating this dependency bloat with
25 the bind-tools 9.16 series. Hopefully this can be addressed by the developers in
26 future.
27
28 [1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/dependencies/#build-dependencies
29 [2] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/tree/net-dns/bind-tools/bind-tools-9.16.4.ebuild#n39