From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sanoid (was Backup questions)
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 20:52:39
1 On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 16:06:21 -0400,
2 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >
4 > On August 14, 2018 11:42:18 AM UTC, John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > >I use sanoid/syncoid to back up using zfs. Its great, keeps snapshots
7 > >for as long as I want them (I use 80 days for now). And it keeps
8 > >hourlies for the last couple of days as well, so I could roll back in
9 > >case of a problem. Very nice if you use zfs.
10 >
11 > I tried sanoid, but it has a few problems which really become annoying when you have a lot of datasets:
12 > 1) every dataset is handled seperately, no use of recursive snapshots when datasets are inside the same tree
13 > 2) it keeps seperate hourly, daily,.... snapshots, which means it will happily create multiple snapshots with only a few seconds difference for every dataset around midnight.
14 > 3) when rolling back several snapshots, there are multiple errors reported because the cache (where does it store that?) does not match reality.
15 >
16 > Have these been resolved yet?
17 >
18 > I ended up writing my own system for this, got some extra intelligence in there to work around any possible error condition I have encountered.
21 Well, I got around your second point by having a special job at 11:59
22 pm to create the dailies and the one at midnight works well. I only
23 do the cron jobs hourly, not every minute like they wanted.
24
25 If your script is not special for you, I would like to see it, maybe I
26 would use it instead. Things seem to work for now, however with those
27 modifications.
30 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
31 How do
32 you spend it?
33
34 John Covici wb2una