From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gparted leaves gaps
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2021 02:05:13
1 On 1/4/21 12:39 am, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I use gparted often, usually from SystemRescueCD, and a common task is to
5 > move partitions to allow for one to be enlarged. I should be able to specify
6 > all the operations in a list, but whenever I do that gparted inserts 1MB gaps
7 > between partitions, so I have to do one at a time. Even the latest bootable
8 > gparted CD image does the same.
9 >
10 > Can anyone tell me what causes this? Has it anything to do with my always
11 > specifying partition size as a power of 8? (I'm of the old school, having been
12 > sent on my first computer hardware course in 1972.)
13 >
14 Forcing alignment on megabyte boundaries? - I cant find a reason, but I
15 think I read in the past it was for efficiency with modern file systems.
16
17 BillK