From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: FIXED 3D
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 02:56:16
1 On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:22:05 -0400, Jonathan Callen <abcd@g.o>
2 wrote:
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
7 >> Note you can also nest commands when using $(), which you can't do with
8 >> backticks.
9 >
10 > You can nest commands with ``, it's just less intuitive; each of the
11 > following are equivalent:
12
13 Thank for calling my attention on that.
14
15 Yes, I know how it works. I rather meant that you can't nest the backticks
16 in a vanilla fashion, like with $(). Escaping the ticks you can do whatever
17 you want, it's just a matter of making sure the right thing reaches the
18 correct depth in a nested chain of shells, since each time that this kind
19 of substitution it happens in a new subshell.
20
21 $ pgrep bash | wc -l
22 6
23 $ echo $(pgrep bash | wc -l)
24 7
25 $ echo $(echo $(pgrep bash | wc -l))
26 8
27
28 I'll admit I didn't express it in the clearest way. However, this doesn't
29 solve the fact of the accents being dead keys in a lost (most?) languages
30 with a Latin alphabet, but English, nor the problem about the clarity
31 (though that's less an issue when you are working in command line, most
32 times anyway). I have no idea if the accent is a standard character in
33 every keyboard layout, so I am not sure that that is a valid argument on
34 any sane keyboard. I just checked and that accent is even part of the 7 bit
35 ascii table (dec 96), which is as minimal as you can get nowadays unless we
36 are speaking about some exotic embedded stuff or ancient device of the
37 caverns, and in that case, probably the same could apply to $, and even ()
38 :P
41 Jesús Guerrero