From: Hazen Valliant-Saunders <hazenvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software RAID vs "Fake" RAID
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:24:36
1 Ok,
2
3 1. Motherboard Raid is often "Fake Raid"
4 2. In Gentoo the Software Raid fucntions for Linux are probably faster than
5 your motherboard's
6 3. Having had and seen issues with mother board raid I'd suggest using the
7 mdtools. Since there is a FAR LARGER support base; that way if somthing goes
8 awry you'll have a far larger pool of knowledge to draw from.
9
10 When Considering Raid always look to see if you have a MB that has it's own
11 XOR implemented in silicon, these are a little pricy but they are the
12 "Engine" that speeds up the whole checksumming process.
13
14 Server Motherboards and high end workstations will have integrated RAID
15 controllers from repudible providers (LSI, Adaptec, AMI...) and even those
16 break down and forget configuration's some times.
17
18 If you are going to do a whole bunch of storage on the cheap the software
19 raid is fine, and if you have a quad core you won't even notice the
20 overhead.
21