From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:55:06
1 Alan McKinnon writes:
2
3 > On Wednesday 03 March 2010 13:27:45 Alex Schuster wrote:
4
5 [RANT RANT RANT]
6
7 > > Ah, I see the problem. It mainly scans /data/mp3/incoming, a
8 > > directory I have NOT selected as collection folder (but most other
9 > > directories in /data/mp3 are selected). Still, those files do not
10 > > show up in my collection, which is fine - some time ago amarok did
11 > > index all in /data/mp3, even if a directory was not selected.
12
13 I investigated this further. Amarok seems to look for all playlists below
14 /data/mp3, and then looks up all of their files. No idea why.
15
16 > I wonder if amarok would not be better off using the strigi/nepomuk
17 > indexing function, instead of trying to be real clever and doing it
18 > itself.
19
20 Strigi also keeps indexing parts of my /data/mp3 stuff with EVERY login.
21
22 > OTOH, that might just resurrect the mother of all threads we had
23 > recently - the one about the pros and cons of nepomuk and
24 > semantic-desktop :-)
25
26 I am pro, I like it, but again it seems those things are not yet working
27 right. Strigi indexes stuff over and over again at every login. virtuoso-t
28 then also runs for a while and hogs resources. dbus-daemon uses 10-15
29 percent of CPU time according to top. Should it do this?
30
31 I enabled auto-login for KDE, so when I boot the system, at least things
32 are already indexed when I start working with it.
33
34 Now I'm going to emerge KDE-4.4.1, let's see what this will change.
35
36 Wonko