From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Most important packages to save buildpkg of
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 06:22:23
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:25:21 -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
5 >>> Also, what commands would a person have to use to make use of those
6 >>> buildpkg's? So far, I have not needed one. < says prayer > That
7 >>> assumes portage is what is screwed up to begin with.
8 >>>
9 >> All you need is tar. You simply extract the compressed tarball over
10 >> your root file system and the package is installed, but not entered
11 >> into the vdb (so, it wouldn't be a bad idea to re-emerge it once you
12 >> get portage back up).
15 > Remember that tar doesn't respect $CONFIG_PROTECT, so it may overwrite
16 > your carefully crafted configuration files in /etc. Og course, if you're
17 > sensible enough to keep binary packages of the most important apps
18 > around, you're more than sensible enough to have a backup of /etc :)
19 >
20 > You may also want to consider keeping binary packages of some of the
21 > larger (as i compile time) not-quite-essential packages. Keeping binaries
22 > of xorg-server, kdelibs etc. may help you get going again more quickly
23 > after a broken upgrade or other borkage. If you use openoffice, as
24 > opposed to openoffice-bin, keeping a package fo that goes without saying.
29 I do make backups of /etc. It's the only way to make sure. I mean,
30 those are crucial. I have used them once or twice. That merge thing
31 sort of confuses me sometimes.
32
33 Thanks
34