From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd? [ Was: The End Is Near ... ]
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:26:55
1 On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 03:15:02PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
2
3 > Here's what I want:
4 >
5 > When the machine starts, I want services X, Y and Z to run. The
6 > software figures out what order they must start in and how the deps
7 > work. Clean, neat, easy.
8
9 systemd is like Captain Picard of STTNG (Start Trek The Next
10 Generation) always saying "make it so". *HOW DO YOU "MAKE IT SO"? That
11 intelligence has to be somewhere. So what alternative do you propose?
12 A bash or ash script is more guaranteed to run than a binary. Shoving
13 all that "intelligence" into the service itself, means that the service
14 has to start up in order to determine whether it's safe for the service
15 to start up. What's wrong with this picture?
16
17 And if systemd is so great, here's my supersystemd
18
19 #!/bin/bash
20 ...
21 ...