From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenVPN setup
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 05:49:12
1 I do this with my work printer - the printer is locked down to a local
2 network - I can print from locked out offices/labs anywhere (and even
3 from home, picking up the printouts when I arrive - convenient!)
4
5 I also transfer sometimes large files (using scp) and run ssh sessions
6 and imap/smtp mail all through the same tunnel(s) - I actually use two
7 in series with a convenient host in between to get around some local
8 routing issues. All can be transparent and just work. scp can
9 sometimes be a pain with slow speeds but its dependent on network
10 conditions external to the tunnel - i.e., some external conditions cause
11 interactions that affect packet sizes/latency within the tunnel - doesnt
12 happen often though.
13
14 Routing is often an issue (particularly to networks a few hops away on
15 the "inside") - ospf (quagga) was the solution, though RIP is probably
16 easier/better for this
17
18 The downside - gentoos openvpn and networking design is ok for simple
19 setups, but has to be overidden when getting complex. Can be "fragile"
20 when design changes are taking place - breaks when you least expect it
21 like when they introduced the bind flag into the init.d script (grrrrr)
22
23 Note that you need sympathetic or pliable IT staff if its a workplace -
24 helps to have them onside if you are going to bypass their security
25 policies for your own benefit!
26
27 BillK