From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Question about making a tarball
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 21:53:43
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> I try to keep a "up to date" stage 4 tarball here in my system just in
4 >> case. I basically did the creation just like I would if I were booted
5 >> from the CD. I created /mnt/gentoo/ on my system, extracted a stage 3
6 >> there, then chroot in and create a stage 4 tarball. I have one weird
7 >> thing tho that has me confused. When it creates the stage 4 tarball, it
8 >> is in /mnt/gentoo. Today I unpacked the stage 4 so that I could update
9 >> it and when I do a tar xjpf stage4 -C /mnt/gentoo, it actually looks
10 >> like this, /mnt/gentoo/mnt/gentoo/ which is not what I am looking
11 >> for. It doesn't matter on a running system, but it would if I were
12 >> trying to
13 >> rescue myself.
14 >>
15 >> How do I tell tar when I am making the tarball to look at /mnt/gentoo/
16 >> as it start point, root directory if you will? I read the man page but
17 >> suspect I am missing it somewhere. There has to be a way since it is
18 >> done that way for the stage 3 tarball.
19 >
20 > You strip the leading directory during extraction using the
21 > "--strip=1" option ("1" means "strip 1 leading directory", which will
22 > ignore "gentoo/" during extraction.)
27 OK. That makes sense, sort of. How do the people that make the stage3
28 tarball do it? When I extract a stage3 tarball, it doesn't have
29 /mnt/gentoo on it at all. Are they using a "dedicated" install to build
30 those tarballs on?
31
32 Also, since I want it to ignore /mnt/gentoo, wouldn't I have to use
33 --strip=2 to remove both /mnt and the /gentoo after that? Just trying
34 to make sure I understand this correctly.
35
36 I would like to do this on the creating part if possible.
37
38 Dale
39