From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] MagicJack on Gentoo? (preferably PPC)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 19:55:47
1 Does anyone have any direct experience running MagicJack (or another
2 similar product that's available in the U.S. on a Gentoo machine,
3 preferably a Power PC based machine as that's the only 24/7 machine I
4 have here right now. I didn't find anything about MagicJack in the
5 forums.
6
7 The MagicJack site says they will add Linux support 1st quarter 2010
8 but they haven't released anything yet. Is there anything in portage
9 that supports this? I could use windows to register the device and
10 then run it from elsewhere on the network.
11
12 Looking around on the web it seems most folks have set up VMWare or
13 some other VM as a way to just run Windows. My only 24/7 machine right
14 now is actually PPC-based so that's not going to work for me.
15
16 Even better might be some sort of Ethernet to USB adapter that would
17 allow me to plug it directly into an unused port on my router and skip
18 all the PCs completely but I talked to MagicJack said the device
19 requires drivers on both Mac and Windows.
20
21 I haven't studied Skype's offerings yet as I was looking for something
22 turn-key and I'm not sure that's true with them, but I'll go find out.
23
24 Thanks,
25 Mark