From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: realtime-preemption patch
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 17:35:01
1 On 11/1/05, karlos <k.gebbert@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > hi,
3 >
4 > hm, seems to be relatively straight forward, at least the patching. Yet
5 > still some questions remain for me, for example,
6 > how can I upgrade to this kernel version (from 2.6.13-r5) to 2.6.14, when
7 > emerge won't do it by itself. I guess I should not simply download the
8 > sources mentioned by MArk
9 > and do it, as this might break something.
10 > Also, in how far is it important to apply the other patches, which are
11 > applied to gentoo-sources?
12 >
13 > Karsten
16 Karsten,
17 My inputs were never suggested as an addition to gentoo-sources.
18 This would be a completely parallel path to take.
19
20 NOTE: Why update 2.6.13-r5 to 2.6.14? Why not just build 2.6.14?
21
22 In my case I do not know how to:
23
24 1) Determine what patches the Gentoo devs add to gentoo-sources AND
25 why they added them.
26
27 2) When someone here is kind enough to point out how I find the answer
28 to #1 then I still have no idea how to determine which of those
29 patches are important to me and my machines.
30
31 My preferences in this area have always been:
32
33 1) Use gentoo-sources if it works for my application. I have 5 Gentoo
34 boxes here at home and 3 at my parents house. Of the 8 machines 7 run
35 gentoo-sources.
36
37 2) Use some other kernel if required. It seems that on my AMD64
38 machine I am (so far) unable to get the same acceptable realtime
39 performance as I get on my IA-32 machines using gentoo-sources. When I
40 determine that I can I will go back to running gentoo-sources on
41 AMD64.
42
43 I don't know if any of this is helping you. I can only hope.
44
45 cheers,
46 Mark
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list