From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenSource Cellular
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 00:48:26
1 On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 06:33:23PM -0400, james wrote
2 > I have an expensive cellualr service and a Galaxy Note 9.
3 > It SUCKS really bad. I spend way too much time, just dealing with
4 > a close source system and way too many vendor traps. I'm done with with,
5 > and am curious if others have similar experiences and are interested in
6 > alternatives, that we the citizens control. In my newly forming
7 > approach, there is room for vendors and consumers and open source
8 > developers. I'm in the USA, but, there is absolutely no reason this
9 > movement I am proposing, could not sweep the globe, IP centric, free and
10 > open.
11
12 I think Lineage OS is what you're looking for https://lineageos.org/
13 Open source, etc. The main problem is that OEM's are locking down their
14 phones, and making it harder to reflash firmware. Plus, you've got to
15 find somebody who knows what they're doing, and won't brick your phone.
16 I'd be interested in anything you come up with. Here's why...
17
18 I'm in suburban Toronto Canada. The CRTC (our equivalant of the FCC)
19 have gone full asshole mode and decreed that *ALL* cellphone alerts are
20 sent at the Presidential Alert level (it's re-labelled "Emergency Alert"
21 up here). *ALL* means *ALL*. Yes that includes missing kid or child
22 custody dispute several hundred miles away. What doesn't help is that
23 the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) has a policy that *THE ENTIRE
24 PROVINCE* gets a Presidential-Alert-masquarading-as-an-Amber-Alert when
25 one is launched. For the American audience, Ontario is intermediate in
26 size between Alaska and Texas. To add insult to injury, an "Amber
27 Alert" often results in 3 (***THREE***) Presidential alert messages,
28 even in the middle of the night...
29
30 * The original unblockable alert, sent in English
31 * Oh yeah, Canada is officially bilingual, let's send out an unblockable
32 message in French half an hour later
33 * an hour later the kid is found, so send out an unblockable "All Clear"
34
35 Fortunately, the Canadian system is relatively new (spring 2018) and
36 is only designed to work with LTE. By forcing my phone (Alcatel Go
37 Flip) down to 3G-only, I avoid these alerts. Eventually, 3G will go
38 away, so I want a solution for that day. So far in my neck of the woods,
39 there have been...
40
41 * 7 missing-kid alerts
42 * 2 test alerts
43 * 0 nuclear plant meltdowns
44 * 0 chemical spills
45 * 0 terrorist attacks
46 * 0 tornadoes
47 * 0 partidges-in-a-pear-tree-e-e-e-e-e
50 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
51 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications