From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Internet security.
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 05:38:47
1 On Monday 09 Sep 2013 02:33:48 Dale wrote:
2 > Someone found this and sent it to me.
3 >
4 > http://news.yahoo.com/internet-experts-want-security-revamp-nsa-revelations
5 > -020838711--sector.html
8 > I'm not to concerned about the political aspect of this but do have to
9 > wonder what this means when we use sites that are supposed to be secure
10 > and use HTTPS. From reading that, it seems that even URLs with HTTPS
11 > are not secure. Is it reasonable to expect that even connections
12 > between say me and my bank are not really secure?
13 >
14 > Also, it seems there are people that want to work on fixing this and
15 > leave out any Government workers. Given my understanding of this, that
16 > could be a very wise move. From that article, I gather that the tools
17 > used were compromised before it was even finished. Is there enough
18 > support, enough geeks and nerds basically, to do this sort of work
19 > independently? I suspect there are enough Linux geeks out there to
20 > handle this and then figure out how to make it work on other OSs. I use
21 > the words geek and nerd in a complimentary way. I consider myself a bit
22 > of a geek as well. :-D
23 >
24 > One of many reasons I use Linux is security. I always felt pretty
25 > secure but if that article is accurate, then the OS really doesn't
26 > matter much when just reaching out and grabbing data between two puters
27 > over the internet. I may be secure at my keyboard but once it hits the
28 > modem and leaves, it can be grabbed and read if they want to even when
29 > using HTTPS. Right?
30 >
31 > This is not Gentoo specific but as most know, Gentoo is all I use
32 > anyway. I don't know of any other place to ask that I subscribe too. I
33 > figure I would get a "no comment" out of the Government types. ROFL
34 > Plus, there are some folks on here that know a LOT about this sort of
35 > stuff too.
36 >
37 > Again, I don't want a lot of political stuff on this but more of the
38 > technical side of, is that article accurate, can it be fixed and can we
39 > be secure regardless of OS. It seems to me that when you break HTTPS,
40 > you got it beat already.
41 >
42 > Am I right on this, wrong or somewhere in the middle?
43 >
44 > Dale
45 >
46 > :-) :-)
47
48 As far as I know the NSA has cracked elliptic curve algorithms and earlier SSL
49 versions. Not that you would suspect this from their peddling of it here :-p
50
51 http://www.nsa.gov/business/programs/elliptic_curve.shtml
54 Latest TLS v1.2 *should* be OK, but with the advent of quantum computing who
55 can tell if science fiction decryption capabilities have become reality for
56 state actors. Looking at this, you can see that loads of websites out there
57 are not using strong enough encryption, so even if it worked quantum computing
58 may be an overkill for many https implementations today:
59
60 https://www.trustworthyinternet.org/ssl-pulse/
63 Regards,
64 Mick