From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Locking down a wireless network
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:47:54
1 On 1/29/09, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > My Gentoo router's wireless network is encrypted via WPA and doesn't
3 > DHCP. I'd like to take this a step further in case my WPA key gets
4 > hacked. Can I issue only certain IPs to certain MAC addresses?
5 >
6 > Does WPA2 require hardware support?
9 > - Grant
13 What you're looking for is called 'MAC address filtering' and I
14 imagine it is very doable. Having never done it before myself (with a
15 Gentoo router) the best I can do is point you at Google and wish you
16 the best of luck.
17
18 It's been a little while since I worried about my WPA2 wireless
19 getting hacked. Apparently, a vulnerability in TKIP was recently
20 discovered that made WPA2 networks using that encryption less secure.
21 It would still take a lot of doing on the attacking party's end to do
22 it though. Have you considered setting up WPA2 Enterprise, with the
23 RADIUS server and whatnot?
24
25 D