From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Print to cups printer from Windows - any good instructions?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:28:14
1 On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:41 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 >
5 > In my case I have a "winprinter", doesn't do anything without drivers,
6 > doesn't have native understanding of postscript or PCL or anything
7 > like that, isn't a network printer so it doesn't have its own IP
8 > address. Just a plain cheapo USB printer. Any printer sharing will
9 > have to go through the host machine, and it sounds like you're in the
10 > same boat as me. It's a USB printer so i just change the cable when i
11 > want to print, but that's not very elegant. It would be nice to just
12 > set it up and forget about it.
15 So that's like one of those old winmodems that only worked with
16 Windows drivers loaded?
17
18 > In my case I've got a gentoo desktop, a windows XP/Vista dual-boot
19 > deskop and a gentoo/XP64 dual-boot laptop.
20 >
21 > I just found this page on Google about doing this with Debian and it
22 > looks fairly simple. It does use Samba.
23 >
24 > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing/sharing_with_windows.html
27 Looks helpful and boiled down from the 1000 lines in the Gentoo
28 version looks more manageable. If I have to go that way I'll report
29 back what I find. I'm trying to understand what Willie has point us
30 at.
31
32 Thanks,
33 Mark