From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A question regarding non-Portage software...
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 05:15:56
1 On Sunday 11 March 2007 05:25:24 Chris wrote:
2 > I will begin by stating my problem. I have the source code (in
3 > *.tar.bz2 format) for a couple of pieces of software that are not in the
4 > Portage tree at all. I would like to compile and install them in such a
5 > way that I can use them, and even so Portage recognizes them.
6 >
7 > I have read the official Gentoo documentation regarding Portage, ebuilds
8 > and diverting from the Portage tree and while it gave me some ideas, it
9 > really didn't fully answer the question of exactly *how* to do what I want.
10 >
11 > I am hoping that someone can provide me with resources - examples and/or
12 > a walkthrough would be especially helpful. I realize that the Gentoo
13 > team can only do so much and carefully test each package before putting
14 > it in the official tree. There are just some pieces of software that I
15 > want that are not even in the testing tree.
16
17 The devmanual is a good place to start. If you use IRC then #gentoo-dev-help
18 at freenode is a good place to get more help...
19
20 http://devmanual.gentoo.org/
21 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml
24 Bo Andresen