From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 20:34:56
1 On 2011-10-04 20:56, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 Replying two mails in one...
4
5 Dale:
6 >Is grub2 stable, who uses it and can you post your experience on the
7 >switching process?
8
9 I use it (1.99-rc1, which is gone from Portage) for booting my UEFI
10 (with GPT partition table) motherboard until I can get coreboot running
11 on it... :-)
12
13 Experience wise it's, well, not much difference than old grub, with the
14 exception of the change in paradigm: you don't edit the config file
15 directly but instead edit "pre-config" files in order to get a working
16 solution. For me the default settings work fine (well, I haven't been
17 able to change the resolution); it finds my installed kernels in /boot
18 and put's them in the boot list (the boot screen list) together with a
19 single user version for rescue operations. IMO, it's over-complicated (I
20 agree with Grant) but if the default settings works (with tweaks) for you...
21
22 >Was it difficult? Easy? Somewhere between?
23
24 Hm... Well, see above...
25
26 Canek:
27 > Me, I want my laptop/desktop computers to have the best resolution
28 > available from moment zero, even before loading the kernel, and not a
29
30 I agree with this sentiment although I think that the video firmware (or
31 motherboard firmware) should handle this...
32
33 > single flicker in my screen until my GNOME 3 is fully loaded. So I'm
34
35 Yes, agree again, although I think Gnome (2,3+) is a festering piece of
36 #%!&... :-)
37
38 > gonna play with grub2 (or /firstboot, if it materializes) until it's
39
40 Ok, cool. Please share your experiences. I'll try playing (when I can
41 find the time) with coreboot and FILO:
42 http://www.coreboot.org/Payloads#FILO
43
44 Best regards
45