From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] what about Xen finally?
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 12:01:34
1 Am Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:37:27 -0500
2 schrieb Tim <root@×××××××××××××××.com>:
3
4 > Mihamina (R12y) Rakotomandimby wrote:
5 > > Tim wrote:
6 > >
7 > >>>> So, I need a recent gentoo kernel (some 2.6.22 but I dont know
8 > >>>> which exactly). I really want to use only ebuilds.
9 > >>> Xen-sources doesn't go as high as .22 yet in the portage tree. The
10 > >>> newest one is .20, but that should be okay for most people.
11 > >> Xen actually made it in to the .23 mainline kernel,
12 > >
13 > > Do you mean xen will be directly in the kernel, the way alsa is?
14 > > I did not see that great news on the Xen users ML.
15 > > Have you got any reference?
16 > >
17 > That's exactly what I meant :)
18 >
19 > I got the news from kerneltrap.org[1], and the git commits are
20 > directly viewable on git.kernel.org[2].
21 >
22 > [1] http://kerneltrap.org/node/13917
23 > [2]
24 > http://git.kernel.org/gitweb.cgi?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=5ead97c84fa7d63a6a7a2f4e9f18f452bd109045
25
26 I would note, however, that it's just the domU(?), meaning you can build
27 Linux as a guest kernel. The dom0 stuff, however, which is required to
28 build a hypervisor, is *not* in mainline. Your link states that in a
29 comment, but I wanted to explicitly point it out.
30
31 To quote kernelnewbies:
32
33 "Xen
34
35 Part of Xen has been merged. The support included in 2.6.23 will allow
36 the kernel to boot in a paravirtualized environment under the Xen
37 hypervisor. But support for the hypervisor is not included - this is
38 only guest support, no dom0, no suspend/resume, no ballooning. It's
39 based in the paravirt_ops infrastructure."
40
41 I don't want anybody disappointed from the realization when they get to
42 the kernel configuration with 2.6.23 ;).