From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] su doesn't work for me.
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 15:09:51
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 16:28 on Sunday 10 April 2011, Dale did opine
2 thusly:
3
4 > > That was it! I've now got su-ability from that normal user.
5 > >
6 > > Funny, though, on my (very) old Debian system I don't seem to have a
7 > > wheel.
8 > >
9 > > Thanks.
10 > >
11 > >> Best regards,
12 > >> Yann
13 >
14 > I think that is a Gentoo thing. It does add some security if you don't
15 > want a user, like maybe some little kid, getting root access for any
16 > reason.
17
18 No, it's pretty standard across Unix.
19
20 The BSD's for example have had it since forever - members of the wheel group
21 being allowed to sudo anything only came along much later.
22
23 Leaving it *out* is a Linux-distro thing, probably from the usual usage case
24 for Linux for many years - a server on the web that actually only had one user
25 even though it was capable of being fully multi-user. The concept of wheel for
26 su is pretty redundant in that case.
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com